Driving with a chipped or cracked windshield can be very dangerous and the longer you go without fixing it, the worse it can get. Whether it’s a tiny chip or a huge crack, it’s extremely important to get it repaired or replaced right away. This is a job to leave to the professionals, but have you ever wondered what it takes to replace the windshield in your vehicle? Here are the necessary steps the pros at Frank’s Auto Glass will take for Chicago windshield replacement.
1. Determine if your windshield needs to be repaired or fully replaced, based on the size, depth, and location of the crack.
2. Purchase the correct windshield for the size and shape of your specific vehicle.
3. Take down all things touching or near the windshield – review mirror, stickers, windshield wipers, hanging accessories, etc.
4. Protect the heating and cooling vents and other interior controls but covering them with plastic or paper.
5. Wear gloves to avoid any cuts on your hands from broken or chipped glass.
6. Inspect the rubber piece around your windshield for any damage. If you notice any cracks or tears, this will have to be replaced as well. If it seems intact, use a knife or screwdriver to separate the glass from the rubber.
7. Then, work with another person to carefully remove the glass from the windshield frame.
8. Place the rubber piece around the new windshield.
9. Use a sealant or jelly to carefully insert the glass into the frame and make sure it fights tightly.
10. Wipe away excess sealant and clean the windshield.
If you need Chicago windshield replacement, contact Frank’s Auto Glass today!
Courtesy of How Stuff Works