Today, even moderately priced vehicles often come with power locks. While highly reliable, they can fail from time to time. If you’re having problems with your power locks, here are some of the possible causes.
- Key fob issues – The source of the problem may be as simple as a dead battery in your key fob. Your owner’s manual should give you the number of the replacement battery you need. If that doesn’t resolve the issue, you may have a defective key fob. In that case, you’ll need to take your fob to the dealer for assistance.
- A blown fuse – If it’s not a fob issue, this could be the root cause of the lock problem. The owner’s manual will tell you the location of the fuse box. Check the fuse diagram and locate the fuse that helps operate the door locks. If there’s a gap in the metal squiggle of the fuse, the fuse is blown and must be replaced.
- Solenoid problem – The solenoid is an electrical device that helps operate the door locks. When it receives a signal from the key fob, it responds by moving a rod that locks or unlocks the door. The solenoid is located inside the door panel, and the panel has to be removed for the defective device to be replaced.
- Broken rod or connector – Possibly, one of the rods or plastic connectors that are part of the lock mechanism has broken. If that’s the case, it must be replaced. Replacing either one requires removing the door panel.
- Other electrical issues – One final possibility is an electrical malfunction. That could be a frayed wire in the system that’s creating an electrical short that keeps the mechanism from working properly.
Door and Window Lock Repair and Glass Repair and Replacement in Chicago
If you’re having problems with either door or window locks on your vehicle, come see us at Frank’s Auto Glass. Our expert technicians will quickly diagnose your problem and have you back on the road in no time at all.
Of course, we provide windshield repair and replacement, along with window repairs at competitive prices. We carry a complete line of new and high quality used auto glass. We also provide mobile windshield repair service in the Chicago area. So whatever your needs – lock repair or auto glass services – come see us today. At Frank’s Auto Glass, customer service and total customer satisfaction are always our number one priorities!