At Frank’s Auto Glass we know how important it is to have windshield wipers in good working order, and we’re frequently asked, how often should I change by wiper blades?
The answer is pretty clear and straightforward: Depending on variables, especially the normal weather pattern in a given area, you should probably change your wiper blades every 6 to 12 months.
Did you know that windshield wipers were invented in 1902 by a lady who didn’t even drive? Her name was Mary Anderson, a native of Alabama, who received a patent for what she called a Window Cleaning Device to help streetcar drivers keep their windshields clear. Although manufacturers were initially hesitant to adopt her invention, today Mary Anderson’s device is a vital component on every vehicle on the road, essential for providing drivers a clear line of sight during bad weather.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Wiper Blades
In addition to that general time frame of 6 to 12 months, here are some signs indicating you need to replace your windshield wiper blades.
- Squeaking – That dreaded sound indicates the rubber in the blades is old and worn and can’t move smoothly over your windshield. Rubber blades wear down easily through extended sun exposure, heavy rain, snow and ice.
- Chattering – This means the blades skip and vibrate as they move over the windshield, caused by fluctuations between hot and cold temperatures, or possibly an extended period of non-use.
- Smearing – Caused by blades that are no longer sharp and have become rounded, smearing instead of removing water and limiting visibility.
- Streaking – Caused by the rubber on the blades becoming hardened and cracked because of long exposure to the elements. Also things like ultraviolet sun rays, road grit, and even tree sap can contribute to the problem. Whatever the cause, as the blades move across your windshield, they leave streaks of water behind.
- Wiper Arm Latches Become Warped – While most of your windshield wiper issues will emerge because the blades regularly wear down, it’s also possible for the arm itself to malfunction. If you notice a wiper is loose or unstable after you turn them on, then it’s time to seek a replacement as soon as possible.
Any of these, or some combination of them, indicates it’s time to replace the old wiper blades with a brand new set.
Wiper Blade and Window Glass Replacement Services in Chicago, Il
If you’ve noticed a couple of these symptoms but you’ve put off changing your wiper blades, at Franks Auto Glass our technicians can make the change for you in no time at all.
Of course, if you’re wondering, “Where can I find a window glass replacement service close to me in Chicago, IL?” then Frank’s is the place for you.
At Frank’s Auto Glass we provide expert car window repair services, replacements, and mobile windshield services. During any of our services, you can expect each of our specialists to provide a quality window replacement with precision and care. We will clean your windshield and ensure it is safe and sturdy before you hit the road again.
If you can’t come to us, we’ll be glad to come to you for any of our auto glass repair or replacement services!
For the very best auto glass services Chicagoland has to offer, Frank’s Auto Glass is the place for you!